Makes one large 10 inch pie, or two small pies (8 servings)
4-5 medium peaches
4 cups (a quart) of blueberries
1/3 cup of white sugar
1/3 cup of brown sugar
Nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground ginger to taste
2 teaspoons of lemon juice concentrate
1 egg white
1/2 cup of butter, or margarine for pie crust
2 1/2 cups of white flour for pie crust
1/2 shortening for pie crust
1/4 cup of water, added a tablespoon at a time for pie crust (until right consistency)
Prep time 30 minutes
Bake time approximately 45 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 Fahrenheit.
2. Mix butter or margarine, flour, and shortening in a large bowl, add water one tablespoon at a time for the right consistency. Roll dough into two balls and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
3. Peel the peaches with a paring knife. Pit and slice peaches into cubes and mix with blueberries in a large bowl. Add white and brown sugar, with nutmeg, cinnamon and ground ginger to taste. Top with lemon juice concentrate and mix.
4. Remove the 2 balls of dough from freezer and roll out on wax paper to make top and bottom pie crusts. [We didn't have a rolling pin and used an empty wine bottle.]
5. Place one of the rolled out shells into a large pie dish that is appropriate for baking in. Toss in fruit mixture.
6. Roll out remaining ball of dough. Cover pie with this top crust. [Some people pierce the top crust for vent holes. We decided to cut out letters to differentiate the two small pies.]
Mix egg white and one tablespoon of water in a small glass. Use a basting brush to apply mixture to top of pie.
7. Place pie in oven and bake for 45 minutes at 375 Fairenheit.
Check on pie at 35 minutes. If the crust is golden brown it is ready to be removed. Cool on a rack before serving warm or at a room temperature.
Shabby Apple is hosting a pie contest giveaway! If you like to make pie (or you like to eat it like me) you'll enjoy their blog post!
Have a Fun Weekend.
2 hours ago