Monday, September 5, 2011

My favorite run in Chicago

It was in the upper 60s today, which was a dramatic and refreshing change from the 95 degree weather on Saturday, two days ago. We decided to run from River North to Lake Michigan and up to Diversey for lunch. We like to run along the North branch of the Chicago River to Halsted, past Alinea and take W Willow/Menomonee to Lincoln Park. 

Once in Lincoln Park, we run across Lake Shore Drive at Fullerton to get to the lake. Today was very windy and fun! There were ridiculous waves and white capes on Lake Michigan.
[Around Mile 3]
  I rarely take my camera running, but we were planning to go to the Lincoln Park Zoo after our run and lunch. Mr. F was a good sport and stopped a few times to capture our surroundings. 
[Approximately, Mile 4]
Sometimes, I took photos while running!
We did stop at the Diversey Harbor for a few quick pictures of Downtown Chicago! 
After over six miles of running, we had lunch at the Counter in Lincoln Park/Lakeview. We probably ate as many calories as we burned in the hour of running, but it was amazing. 
I love the sweet potato fries and Mr. F loves onion rings, so we frequently get the "Fifty-Fifty". I had a burger with applewood bacon, onion rings, cheddar cheese and sweet BBQ sauce, with a pretzel bun. Mr. F had the burger with gruyere cheese, mushrooms, applewood bacon and chipotle mayo on a brioche bun. Apparently this is known as the unami burger. 
After all that wonderful food, we still had 3.5 miles to walk home and a trip to the zoo planned!We meandered through the North Pond Nature Sanctuary where we saw native plants and birds to the West entrance of the Lincoln Park Zoo. I was so excited to see the penguins, lions, tigers and bears! We even saw rhinos, beavers and otters.  AND it's a free zoo! The snow leopard was a little sad because it wouldn't stop pacing. 
After an hour at the zoo, we continued our walk through Lincoln Park back to our house. We did not expect to stumble upon the Lincoln Park Farm in the Zoo! We saw cute goats, cows, shetland ponies  and the biggest rabbit ever!! I think it must have been over 25 pounds. 
At the end of the park, our feet were getting a little tired so we quickly walked down Wells St, through Old Town. We did stop briefly at a pet store, Collar and Leashfor cat food and a look at their kittens and puppies for sale. Fortunately we resisted temptation to get a third pet!
How adorable are the Chiweenie puppy and the Siamese kitten?

How was your Labor Day?

No comments:

Lijit Search Wijit

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Followers

Designed By:




Lily Thomas and Lyra


    follow me on Twitter

    I love ballet!

    I love ballet!
    Ballerina Project

    Twitter with me!

    Mr. F and me

    Mr. F and me

    I love horses!

    I love horses!
    Woman and Horse (2006, 60" x 60", Digital C-Print) by KARIN BUBAš

    Life in the Fulmer Lane

    /

    Blooming on Bainbridge

    Lavender and Lilies

    Etsy it Up! Now Swell Swag!

    Fairy Tales are True


    Gussy

    My Favorite Things

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share