Sunday, January 9, 2011

a Foodie vacation in Maui

Mr. F and I love food. One of our favorite things about vacation is going out to eat. While we're on vacation, we never limit ourselves and diets do not exist. As we speak, Mr. F is cooking up something amazing in the kitchen, so I am inspired by the smells of bacon to write about the delicious food we had on Maui! 
Our first night in Maui, we had dinner at Mala, an Ocean Tavern at 7pm, just after sunset. We walked the length of Front Street in Lahaina, thinking 1.1 miles was easy. It was hot and I got several mosquito bites....in December!! It was worth it though, because the food was superb! We enjoyed the roasted beets, panko crusted goat cheese salad, Mahi Mahi ala Planca with Potato Puree, Mojo Verde & Grilled Pita with Romesco (pictured above), and I had the adult macaroni and cheese, with mushrooms and a touch of chili sauce. 
 Friday night was New Year's Eve, so we celebrated with an amazing gourmet dinner at David Paul's Island Grillrestaurants on maui - David Paul's Island Grill We had a delicious blue cheese, tomato and apple salad, with Ahi tartare to start. The Ahi was so buttery and mouthwatering, I wish I could eat it fresh like this everyday!  
 I had the Chilean Sea Bass on a bed of coconut fried rice, which was utterly divine. 
 Mr. F had pepper crusted Big Eye tuna loin seared rare and served with sautéed fingerling potatoes, Maui onions, artichokes, mushrooms, red wine essence!
 For dessert, we had Dark chocolate Bouchon mousse served in a marbled chocolate cup, with lilikoi cream, fresh raspberries and mint. It was beyond words! 
 We stayed at the Kula Lodge on Haleakala, on New Year's Day.  My favorite dish at the restaurant was the Macademia Nut torte! 
 After watching the sunrise on the highest peak of Maui, we had a Papaya breakfast! I love fresh Papaya!
 A few days later in Napili, we went to Pineapple Grill at Kapalau Resort. I had the almond crusted Mahi Mahi with fingerling potatoes, brussels sprouts, and mushrooms!
 Mr. F had the most mouth-watering ahi and coconut rice with peanut sauce. It was tantalizing! 
 We had the chocolate banana bread pudding with eggnog ice cream for dessert. I had no idea that eggnog ice cream could be soo delicious!
 On January 4th, we went to our favorite breakfast place on the island, Gazebo! I had the short stack of Macadamia Nut and Pineapple pancakes. 
 Mr. F got fried rice!
 Later that day we went to the Sea House for lunch! I had awesome fish tacos! 
 On our last night in Maui, we went to Mala, an Ocean Tavern again! This time we got the Farmer's Salad with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette, Kula Greens, Cucumber, Tomato, Maytag Bleu Cheese & Toasted Walnuts.
I had the Avalon seared sashimi, potato puree, Shiitake Mushroom Ginger Sauce.
Mr. F had the delicious Seafood pasta with crab, mussels, and scallops!
Guess what we had for dessert?
The drool-worthy Carmel Miranda! (Can you believe this is the half order?!)
For our last meal in Maui, on January 6th, we had pizza at Lahaina Pizza Company, formally known as BJ's. We had a huge and doughy Hawaiian pizza. It was very filling...
I also had to get one last lava flow and shave ice! I got guava and passion fruit. Mr. F got Tiger's Blood!
We had very full bellies when we got on the early evening plane back to Seattle. It was wonderful! 

No comments:

Lijit Search Wijit

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Followers

Designed By:




Lily Thomas and Lyra


    follow me on Twitter

    I love ballet!

    I love ballet!
    Ballerina Project

    Twitter with me!

    Mr. F and me

    Mr. F and me

    I love horses!

    I love horses!
    Woman and Horse (2006, 60" x 60", Digital C-Print) by KARIN BUBAš

    Life in the Fulmer Lane

    /

    Blooming on Bainbridge

    Lavender and Lilies

    Etsy it Up! Now Swell Swag!

    Fairy Tales are True


    Gussy

    My Favorite Things

    Blog Archive

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share