Monday, June 14, 2010

Dreaming of Orcas Island...



Last night we decided to celebrate Father's Day, this weekend, on Orcas Island in the San Juans. I can't wait until Friday! We're taking a half day on Friday, then driving up to Anacortes, in hopes of beating the long, summer ferry lines.


I have several books I've been excited to read, particularly the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest which will be fun while waiting in the ferry lines...Although if we have a really long wait, the ferry dock has a great rocky and sandy beach with phenomenal views. We love beach walks and mountainous panoramas. 
It's been four years since I've taken the ferry from Anacortes to the San Juans. I hope we can see whales!


It was a gorgeous weekend when we went with Mr. F's family in July 2006.
We enjoyed the hotel so much that summer, we're going back. I promise to take tons of pictures. It's suppose to be be mid 60s and only a 10% chance of precipitation! It's going to be great weather with the family. 
  Check out the view from our hotel!
(Wow, I just found out on Wikipedia that "The name "Orcas" (pronounced /ˈɔrkəs/, like Orcusnot */ˈɔrkəz/ like the plural of orca) is a shortened form of Horcasitas, or Juan Vicente de Güemes Padilla Horcasitas y Aguayo, 2nd Count of Revillagigedo, the Viceroy of Mexico who sent an exploration expedition under Francisco de Eliza to the Pacific Northwest in 1791.")


Have you been to the San Juans Islands? Do you have a favorite island restaurant, or hike, or activity?
Source for photos: 1

1 comment:

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

That sounds amazing. I've never been, but now I want to!

Lijit Search Wijit

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Followers

Designed By:




Lily Thomas and Lyra


    follow me on Twitter

    I love ballet!

    I love ballet!
    Ballerina Project

    Twitter with me!

    Mr. F and me

    Mr. F and me

    I love horses!

    I love horses!
    Woman and Horse (2006, 60" x 60", Digital C-Print) by KARIN BUBAš

    Life in the Fulmer Lane

    /

    Blooming on Bainbridge

    Lavender and Lilies

    Etsy it Up! Now Swell Swag!

    Fairy Tales are True


    Gussy

    My Favorite Things

    Blog Archive

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share