Thursday, October 1, 2009

Virgin Suicides



I first saw Virgin Suicides in high school, a very impressionable age. (I was a little obsessed with Josh Hartnett at the time too.) The Virgin Suicides was written in 1993 by Jeffrey Eugenides. The story takes place in Grosse Pointe, Michigan in the 1970s, centering around the suicides of five sisters. It's told in the words of the neighborhood boys who worshiped them and who come together 20 years later to try and solve the mystery of the Lisbon sisters.

To this day, I think fondly of Sofia Coppola's big directorial debut because it is so melancholy and dream-like. It's so bittersweet and beautiful. I've heard it described as, 'hauntingly poetic'. Fortunately, it is not as grotesque as the title might suggest, and watching the trailer may help convince you, if you don't believe me.


I was excited to see A Cup of Jo's post today on How to get the look: Out of Africa, which linked me to Design*Sponge's post on Living in: the Virgin Suicides.

Photos from Design*Sponge
[image above, clockwise from top left: lockers $524,bestie necklace $13, school clock $33, whale ashtray $16, composition notebook $1.20, leather backpack $170, perfume bottles $24+, lipstick pen $5, paper fans $1]

Here are some of my favorite quotes:
Doctor: What are you doing here, honey? You're not even old enough to know how bad life gets.
Cecilia: Obviously, Doctor, you've never been a 13-year-old girl.


Trip Fontaine: You're a stone fox.


Narrator: What lingered after them was not life, but the most trivial list of mundane facts: a clock ticking on a wall, a room dim at noon, and the outrageousness of a human being thinking only of herself.

Reminiscing about this movie makes me curious to check out the awesome soundtrack too!

No comments:

Lijit Search Wijit

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Followers

Designed By:




Lily Thomas and Lyra


    follow me on Twitter

    I love ballet!

    I love ballet!
    Ballerina Project

    Twitter with me!

    Mr. F and me

    Mr. F and me

    I love horses!

    I love horses!
    Woman and Horse (2006, 60" x 60", Digital C-Print) by KARIN BUBAš

    Life in the Fulmer Lane

    /

    Blooming on Bainbridge

    Lavender and Lilies

    Etsy it Up! Now Swell Swag!

    Fairy Tales are True


    Gussy

    My Favorite Things

    Blog Archive

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share