Monday, October 26, 2009

Encounters at the end of the world


Last night we watched "Encounters at the End of the World". It was a stunning and philosophical movie, not just about cute penguins in Antarctica.

The narrator, Werner Herzog (real name Werner H. Stipetic), asks bizarre questions, Bruno-style, like "can penguins go insane?" He must also ask each interviewee to tell him the most obscure or random thing about themselves. The first person interviewed is a self-proclaimed philosopher and forklift driver at the end of the world. When asked, 'how does one end up in Antarctica?' He replies, 'it's natural selection for people who want to jump off the margin of the map', "professional dreamers".

The people the director meets and interviews are interesting and complex characters with absolutely random hobbies. For example, the lively Volcanologist, Dr. Clive Oppenheimer from Cambridge, with curly hair and red cheeks like a hobbit, plays "My Name Is Jonas" by Weezer in one scene directly after applying riot-proof prison cameras at the top of an active volcano. The scene then cuts to a frozen sturgeon in a tunnel underneath the South Pole.



I highly recommend this movie for all nature lovers, just makes sure you're in the right mood for philosophy as well as stunning landscapes and underwater cathedrals....

Click below for a few more interesting perspectives of this movie:
A House Next Door blog
Rusty Shrapnel
(Learn more about the B 15 iceburg)

No comments:

Lijit Search Wijit

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Followers

Designed By:




Lily Thomas and Lyra


    follow me on Twitter

    I love ballet!

    I love ballet!
    Ballerina Project

    Twitter with me!

    Mr. F and me

    Mr. F and me

    I love horses!

    I love horses!
    Woman and Horse (2006, 60" x 60", Digital C-Print) by KARIN BUBAš

    Life in the Fulmer Lane

    /

    Blooming on Bainbridge

    Lavender and Lilies

    Etsy it Up! Now Swell Swag!

    Fairy Tales are True


    Gussy

    My Favorite Things

    Blog Archive

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share