Thursday, June 30, 2011

June 14th in Barcelona!

We planned to get up early to go to La Sagrada Familia but we slept in until 10 am (Spanish style). We had a quick breakfast at Bellapan across the street. I ordered a bocatillo (jamon y queso). After breakfast, we walked to Casa Batllo but decided against paying the 17 euros each.  Instead, we took lots of pictures outside the house. We read in Rick Steves' guide that if you have to choose between Casa Batllo and Casa Mila/La Pederera, go to La Pederera. (It's also slightly less expensive at 14 euros a person. At this time, it was approximately $20 each. ) The rooftop and view were phenomenal, but still overpriced.  Regardless of the heat, we also had a lot fun taking pictures on the roof!  Around 1pm, we walked to La Sagrada Familia, 
 where it was super crowded but worth the 15 euros, in my opinion. When you step inside, the ceilings are soo intriguing it's hard to look away. Mr. F and I thought it was striking and very different from other (older) European churches. The Gaudi side of the church is the most impressive.  There is so much detail that I'll let my photos talk, instead of trying to describe this amazing architecture.  There were models in the basement that were equally as impressive. We took the Nativity elevator up to the top of one of the spires... It's said the construction on the church is suppose to be finished in 2026, 100 years after Gaudi's death. 
We were extremely tired after all of our walking around in 90 degree heat, and intense heat. We had a late lunch, Spanish style, at Qu Qu on Passeig de Garcia, which is down the street from Casa Batllo. (Rick Steves also recommended this tapas place and we loved the fried artichokes.) 
After our siesta, we walked to a local gin joint near our hotel and had amazing gin and tonics before a late dinner. This is a Pomelo, which is grapefruit puree and Hendrick's gin. When Lolita's opened at 8pm, we ordered pimentos (fried green peppers), peas and quail eggs,  and for dessert we had the "pink panther".  It was basically a mini cake with pink chocolate frosting!

Lijit Search Wijit

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner




Followers

Designed By:




Lily Thomas and Lyra


    follow me on Twitter

    I love ballet!

    I love ballet!
    Ballerina Project

    Twitter with me!

    Mr. F and me

    Mr. F and me

    I love horses!

    I love horses!
    Woman and Horse (2006, 60" x 60", Digital C-Print) by KARIN BUBAš

    Life in the Fulmer Lane

    /

    Blooming on Bainbridge

    Lavender and Lilies

    Etsy it Up! Now Swell Swag!

    Fairy Tales are True


    Gussy

    My Favorite Things

    AddThis

    Bookmark and Share